Into Death

Into Death
Last in Series Now Available!

My Amazon Author Page

amazon.com/author/malee

Progress Meter

Coming Soon! 2nd novella in the Miss Beale Writes series: The Bride in Ghostly White. A touch of gothic, a touch of mystery.
In the Sketching Stage ~ Miss Beale Write 3: The Captive in Green. A touch of gothic, a touch of mystery
Current Focus ~ Audiobooks from The Write Focus podcast. Published this year: Discovering Characters and Discovering Your Plot; Coming SOON: Defeat Writer's Block

Sunday, May 5, 2019

Do you need Hermione's Purse? Try this instead.

In the Harry Potter series, Hermione had this little purse with capacious capacity.  She could get a TENT in there.  A lovely tent, not the kind I go camping in, BTW.

As a writer, I used to think hauling around a huge tote bag was a necessity.  My shoulder finally convinced me that huge bags are essential.

I do have a dedicated writing area, however, and everything writing related goes into that spot.  (At tax time, I can count that writing area off on my taxes.  That's a good thing.)

The key to working a writing area is ORGANIZATION.

Writing a book is a hugely sprawling project.  You have character information, setting information, plot plans, snippets of ideas, all that has to be located in an instant.

If you're like me, you have a focus project as well as other projects that are on-going, having to be picked up once a week.  Then we have those ideas that come and have to be put somewhere.

And we have ideas that we sketched out for 30 or 40 pages, realized it wasn't quite working, and backed out of the story.

AND we also have sketches that we wrote for seminars or courses, sketches that are quite good and would build into stories.

If we only had the time to write all that.

Time's not the enemy, not if we manage to keep everything ORGANIZED.

Losing things, that's the enemy of writers.  Losing ideas.  Losing worked-out information.  Losing snippets.  Having time to explore an sketch but not being able to find it.

Here's an organization help:  poly envelopes in multiple colors.


I love this poly envelopes with the string closure. I have used a set of these for several years, and only now are they starting to give up. They hold just enough to gather up all the diversely sized elements for a project. I prefer the string/button clasp as the snap version tore up faster (even with my careful holding at the clasp to prevent just that event).

The tinted colors makes organizing "at a glance", and the see-through helps my confirmation that "yes, I picked up the correct envelope". These two aspects make these poly envelopes preferable to paper / pressboard / "red rope" versions.

Whether you prefer horizontal or vertical, these are great little organizers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Free Novella

Christmas Gift!

Free Novella! Whether you like historical mystery, historical suspense, 1920s romance, crime / mystery / suspense, or all 3 -- check out The...